The World Needs More Love Letters is an organization lifting, empowering, and mobilizing individuals through tangible acts of love.
the dna of
We are heart-on-sleevers. Powerhouses with our cursive. We’re not afraid to turn our lives into love letters. We are brave, gutsy. We don’t give up on the first try. We are relentless & spirited & passionate about improving the lives of others. We believe in the power of small things. We have great hope. We love good work. We believe life is too short to hold grudges, not forgive, not risk, fear it all away, and never stop to rest. We are hellbent for a better world. We are movers and shakers for the bigger picture.
1. Hannah Brencher, Founder & Creative Director: Hannah Brencher created More Love Letters after a year spent writing 400 love letters to strangers, More Love Letters was born. A TED speaker and writer, Hannah pours her heart into speaking around the country about the More Love Letters’ story and inspiring college students to be movers and shakers for the bigger picture. In 2013, Hannah signed her first book deal to Howard Books-Simon & Schuster. Her memoir, “If You Find This Letter,” will be in bookstores worldwide March 2015. . You can watch her TED talk here. She writes creative nonfiction regularly at her personal site, HannahBrencher.com.
2. Becky Shaw, Team Motivator: Becky was born with writing in her blood, so when she connected with Hannah and had the opportunity to be a part of the Love Letter community she jumped at the chance! She’s been with More Love Letters since the beginning and nothing makes her happier than explaining the mission of it to someone who’s experiencing it for the first time. A corporate America worker by day and a blogger and writer by night, she loves list and lives for life’s little moments; she finds inspiration for love letters in everything from blogs and conversations with friends, to nature’s beauty and Gilmore Girls. Find her blogging here.
3. Laura Backe, Love Letter Bundle Coordinator: Laura Backe is a lover of life, people & chocolate. She began her letter writing journey in elementary school when her family moved and all her friends and cousins became her first pen pals. She has continually kept up with a number of pen pals and enjoys finding and collecting stationary that she passes along to brighten someone’s day.
4. Bethany Sampson, Digital Assistant: As a senior at Assumption College, Bethany shows her passion for writing through her English major and her position as Editor-in-Chief of Assumption’s newspaper, Le Provocateur. She proudly represents her Canadian citizenship, especially when it comes to her love of Canadian cuisine. When Bethany isn’t writing, you will probably find her baking, tweeting, or spending time with her Godson Baby Dom.
Bethany started at More Love Letters in May 2013. It felt like a perfect fit because she, too, believes that writing should and can make a difference in people’s lives.
1. Taylor Andrews, Kids’ Cursive Coordinator: In the 8th grade Taylor decided that it would be her job to help people any way she could think of. Potential jobs included a pediatrician, full-time nanny, teacher, and psychologist. She received her Masters of Science in Counseling and Psychological Services with a concentration in Marriage and Family Therapy and works currently for a non-profit agency as a mental health clinician. An avid reader, Taylor can see the impact that the written word has on others and offers her support to those who need it verbally, and written, anyway to get the point across that you are wanted, you are worth it, and you are loved.
2. Anita Cheung, Blogger Ambassador Coordinator: Anita’s passion for letter writing was lit at 8 years old and this is one flame that can’t be put out. A marketing/PR professional with a vibrant creative side, Anita loves baking new cupcake recipes, finding beautiful stationary, and spending lots of time on Pinterest. She also enjoys adventuring to new places and throwing fabulous themed parties. Intentional with her love letter writing, Anita hopes her letters will spread love, give encouragement and inspire others to live their best lives. You can keep up with her adventures here.
3. Nicole Shepard, Designer + Branding: As a little girl, Nicole always loved the idea of mail – fun mail. Finding a hand addressed card or letter in her mailbox was like finding a special treasure. When a friend directed her to the MLL site in 2012 she could not contain her excitement and fell in love with the mission. She immediately started responding to requests and leaving letters around town. Nicole graduated from The Savannah College of Art and Design in 2009 with a BFA in Graphic Design. Through the power of social media she connected with Hannah and offered her creative services to MLL. She officially joined the team in June 2013. Nicole has an irrational love of ampersands and typography and she is passionate about making sure people know they are truly loved.
4. Nicole Studzenski: Nicole is a greeting card lover by day and a greeting card lover by night. As in – she lives and breathes greeting cards like it’s her job (well, it kind of is…) After leaving her first love letter on a lonely table in 2011, she signed on to scout out stationary finds that would make anyone’s face light up. She spends the non-card portions of her life chasing birds with her son, embarking on adventures by the lake and drinking more coffee than is recommended by any doctor. Her life goal is to go deep-sea fishing and not get thrown overboard. You can find her adventures on her blog or the short-n-sweet version on Instagram.
1. Sara Brink, Campus Cursive Coordinator: Sara is a writer of heart-on-sleeve prose, a virtual book club founder, and a proud Pennsylvanian. She’s an alumna of Hofstra University, where she studied English and Fine Arts. A fan of More Love Letters since its creation, Sara seized the opportunity to join the More Love Letters team as a Campus Cursive Coordinator in the summer of 2012. She loves mugs of coffee, shades of blue, and considers herself an expert on all things Taylor Swift.
2. Leonora Fleming, Campus Cursive Coordinator: Leonora, better known as Lee, is a recent graduate of Hofstra University, where she studied Sociology and Public Relations. Hailing from a suburb of Boston, she recently brought her childhood dream of living in New York City to life. In her spare time, you can find her exploring the nooks and crannies of Central Park, following her long-time favorite band Hanson on tour, or relaxing at her family’s Cape Cod beach house. You can find her tweeting her heart out here and keep up with her personal blog here.
3. Sharon Rhodes, Campus Cursive Coordinator: Sharon was drawn to the MLL team in February 2014 after discovering a tribe of ladies who also love writing handwritten letters. Sharon was an English major and Creative Writing minor at Saint Michael’s College. Her interests include activating her swag when listening to OneRepublic, road trips, hiking, dream analysis, and discovering the stories behind tattoos. Her current life motto is sweet and simple: “We’ll see what happens.”
1. Danielle Deschaine, Social Media Coordinator: If you’re havin’ social problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but twitter ain’t one. Danielle is a moonlighting Jay-Z enthusiast and a babysitter. And she works a lot as a freelance social media coordinator. She’s one degree removed from Jay-Z himself and fell in love with More Love Letters through a suggestion of a good friend…hasn’t turned back since. Campaigning to end heartache on the daily through some MLL digital connections is her forte, and you can often find her perusing Grantland or ESPN.com when she’s not tweeting (for herself or More Love Letters. or at Jay-Z.)
2. Lindsey Raynor, Social Media Coordinator: In kindergarten, when asked what she wanted to be when she grew up, Lindsey responded with: a professional dog walker. Now, a recent college grad she falls a bit short of a dog walking career. Lover of all things pancake related, she enjoys bouncing around the world and running. One third of the social media trifecta, Lindsey spends most of her time on the twitter+facebook streams, making 140 characters as lovely as possible. More Love Letters fell into her life when the universe decided she needed to spread her big heart around. Once, her grandmother told her that she had the soul of a 85 year old southern woman, which may or may not directly correlate with the amount of sweet tea she drinks regularly. Lindsey often lives vicariously through her instagram or through music, because afterall, “we’re driving Cadillacs in our dreams.”
3. Katelyn Collison, Blog Editor: Katelyn is the kind of girl that could never decide if she wanted more to be gypsy or a pirate, so she decided to become both and be the best warrior she could be. She’s a passionate daydreamer who believes all winds, coffee, and hands should be warm. Her heart is set on peace, Africa, and words full of hope. She found More Love Letters when the social media stars aligned. Her heart fell in love, and the rest became history.